Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Distressed Coffee Table Tutorial

This table was probably our first big furniture re do. We fixed this table up before we even contemplated starting a blog. It would have posted sooner, but since the table was done before we had the blog, I didn't take very good pictures. Well actually they were horrible. We didn't think about taking better pictures for a while because we gifted the table to some friends who needed some furniture for their new apartment. And after that I forgot about it. I finally got over there the other day, and they graciously allowed me to photograph their coffee table (which turned out pretty lovely, if I do say so myself:)




We found this table on the side of the road. It was ugly, I told my mom no, she said yes so we brought it home. I thought it was beyond fixing, but I know better now. We left it in our basement for the longest time until we decided it was time to paint it. This table is also the first things we painted a bright color. Usually, we go for simple easy-to-decorate-around colors, but I insisted because this is my favorite color.


Julia and I dragged this thing outside and got to work. I think we did one coat of primer and two coats of spray paint. When it was dry, we distressed it...a lot. I think it adds to the character of the table and it brings out the lines and details. We took sandpaper and went along all the edges and scuffed up the paint on the flat parts of the table.


 Here is a close up so you can see the details.


I put this picture in because it is pretty, and because it shows off the front.


 We distressed more in some parts than others so that two colors of wood could come through. We also made the paint chip in some areas.



 This knob came on the table, but we spray painted it a darker color to match the finished look better.



And that's it! This is a super simple way to make an old, heavy piece look a little lighter and whimsical. I really love the finished look and the color. The teal is a Krylon spray paint color. I believe it is called Sea Foam. Let me know what you think! 








Pin It

30 comments:

  1. This turned out amazing and fabulous tutorial. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, I'm popping in from Hope Studios link party. This table is great! I love that color too, and the detail and distressing are perfect! I am afraid of colored furniture, and usually go with furniture that's white. But lately I'm sick of it, and have been collecting some solid wood pieces to paint and re-stain. My daughter is getting a vintage dresser, and I've been toying with the idea of painting it a color for her new big-girl room - thanks for giving me some incentive!! Pinned & Following!
    Best-
    Kim @ Two Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Southern Lovely's linky party. I love the how it turned out. I also love free from the curb. It gives me the courage to try new things. If I mess up it can go back to the curb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! That's the great thing about this business!

      Delete
  4. It definitely does look brighter and fresher! Quite a difference. What a lovely design on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous makeover and I love the detail of that table. Amazing! Would love for you to link up to my party this week. http://www.bloominghomestead.com/2013/03/crafty-tuesday-3513.html
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm popping over from the Pity Party....that color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That table turned out so beautiful! I'm always amazed at how different a piece can look with just some paint & distressing. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is gorgeous! When can you ship it to me? LOL Thanks for linking up at Trendy Treehouse!

    xoxo, Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Wish I could ship her to you, but she has already found a home.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful.....you did a fabulous job! Just joined your sight...would live to have you visit me at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com
    Have a wonderful weekend, NeeCee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by! I'm now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color and all the details in the table! Thanks for linking up to Check Me out Saturday craft link party on A Vision to Remember
    http://iamonly1woman.blogspot.com/2013/03/check-me-out-saturday-craft-link-party_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This coffee table turned out amazing! The color looks great on it :) I would love it if you checked out my blog!
    http://theweathereddoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily,

    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can. Your table looks really great! I struggle with distressing. ;) but love what you did.
    gail
    ps catching you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous post... I like your post and blog too... thanks for sharing. You really did great job.
    second hand coffee machines

    ReplyDelete
  15. That color is really beautiful! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great transformation! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. PRETTY! Love the color and the distressing... It's being featured in this week's Power of Paint Party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been researching on how to distress wood and many blogs say that you have to paint them with multiple layers and stains. I'm so happy to find your blog and see that I can use spray paint!! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep in mind that my table was dark, so that is what came through when I distressed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am looking for this exact color in spray paint for a project... What brand and color did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry, It's been a while since I did it. I really can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That table turned out so beautiful! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buy new collections of Patek Philippe Watches For Sale in London, UK . Patek Philippe represents high standards of watchmaking and is considered a symbol of status. Because of their high esteem with reserved designs, these watches make a phenomenal investment. The brand comes up with around 50,000 iconic models each year featuring simple elegance and complimentary movements by using expensive materials like gold and platinum. These watches display time and other functions with high precision.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Line Heights is a best ranking SEO and Web Development Agency in UK . You can hire them for web development services and SEO ranking. Visit them for more details.

    ReplyDelete